Good Secure Mobility Solution components
âWhen we refer to the overall Good Secure Mobility Solution, it has two major components to it,â explains Herrema. âThere is one called the Good Collaboration Suite, and thereâs what we call the Good Dynamics Platform.â Good uses their own Good Dynamics Platform to build certain applications comprising the Good Collaboration Suite.
Inside the Good Collaboration Suite
The goal of the Good Collaboration Suite is to get users live with a core set of productivity applications that cover the basics of securing mobile worker productivity. Three products come together to form the Good Collaboration Suite, according to Herrema:
- Good for Enterprise, the companyâs flagship product, is a combination of secure email and PIM application, along with a secure browser application. Good offers those two things together because they’re universal use cases for enterprises and knowledge workers.
- Good Share provides access to file repositories including network drives, Network Attached Storage (NAS), and SharePoint.
- Good Connect is a secure messaging and presence product that supports Office Communications Server (OCS), Lync, and Sametime, which complements the asynchronous email component.
- âOne of the key aspects of the Good Collaboration Suite and the way weâve built it is the concept of secure workflow,â says Herrema. You don’t use the applications in isolation from one another.
For example, you might be writing an email and want to attachment a document that’s stored in a SharePoint site while conducting an IM session in real time with a coworker. Good Collaboration Suite supports an authentication model that lets a user authenticated with one app and move securely without reentering passwords.
Extend the Good Collaboration Suite via Good Dynamics Platform
The Good Dynamics Platform handles crucial security functions, including:
- Jailbreak detection
- Secure storage
- Policy management
- Secure workflow between applications
âWeâve built an abstraction around the Good Dynamics Platform in the form of an SDK that developers can use to build their own secure applications, which can then seamlessly interoperate with our apps and a broader ecosystem of applications out there,â explains Herrema.
He adds, âWe have had the Good Dynamics Platform on the market for two years now. Weâve had a set of 40 partners whoâve built apps on the platform.â Their partners include some apps weâve previously covered on TechRepublic, such as harmon.ie, Alfresco Mobile, Roambi, and Box.
Recently, Good Technology began offering Salesforce Touch Platform support. Herrema tells me that Goodâs enterprise customers can use the platform to build custom apps to fit their business requirements. Over 1,000 custom apps have been built already.
âThe suite manages the core set of problems,â relates Herrema. Good Technology has done a great job of translating mobile technology implementation into a Windows/Microsoft Office/PC model, which is highly relatable to non-technical management and others âwho sign the check.â The core platform serves the role of Microsoft Windows, and their customers can round out the core platform to meet their particular requirements.
Run, grow, transform enterprise mobility
Herrema says that Good Technology uses a ârun, grow, transformâ metaphor for the Good Collaboration Suite, based on the idea that many enterprises are going to be at different states in their mobile evolution. Goodâs metaphor is applicable to either a mobile first or BYOD strategy, and a platform play like Good Collaboration Suite has the muscle to grow with an enterprise through these phases.